There are instances when you would prefer a new social networking platform username if your present one made you unhappy any longer. Like other well-known messaging services, Snapchat has a name change option. However, for years, all you could do was alter your Snapchat display name.
To alter your actual username on the messaging platform, you can now do so without deleting your account. So, if you’re wondering if you can alter your Snapchat username, keep reading to see how.
Change your username on the app
Snapchat strictly adhered to the rule that the username you enter when you set up a new account cannot be changed until very, very recently.
It was described by the app as a security and privacy safeguard for user accounts.
Snapchat considers a user’s username to be their sole means of identification, and they also forbid the sharing of account information like Memories across accounts. A username on Snapchat is similar to the ID you choose when you open a new email account in that no two accounts can have the same name, and if you tried to use someone else’s, you were immediately rejected with a username is already in use alert.
But when Snapchat introduced the new feature to change one’s username with its new update in February 2022, it breached its restriction. It only takes a minute to do the entire process because it is so straightforward. Let’s get the basics down now.
Rules for Changing a Snapchat Account’s Username
The ability to alter your nickname on Snapchat is a useful feature for getting a better identity, but there are some guidelines you should be aware of.
Only once a year is allowed for username updates. Therefore, if you change your username in April of this year, you cannot do it again until April of the next year.
A surprise (and terrifying) regulation is that you can’t update your Snapchat handle to your old username. You can only choose usernames that nobody else has already taken.
This means that once you switch to a new account, the old one is permanently deleted. No one, not even you, can access your previous username.
The fact that your Friends Lists, Streaks, Scores, Memories, Snap Codes, and other saved information are unaffected by changing your login is reassuring.
How to modify your Snapchat username
Open the Snapchat application on your phone. To access your profile, tap the Profile icon in the top-left corner.
- To access Settings, tap the Gear symbol.
- An arrow pointing to the right next to your username under Settings denotes that you can alter it.
- To learn more about the option, tap on the username.
- Select Change Username.
- You will receive a popup explaining the consequences of changing your username.
- To continue, simply tap Continue.
- Choose a username and type it into the text box.
- The phrase “This username is free!” will appear beneath the text field if the username you provide is appropriate and readily available.
- In the username, you may only use letters, digits, or “-,” “_,” or “.” special characters; other special characters are not permitted.
- To proceed, click Next at the bottom of the page.
- You will now be required to enter your password to confirm the action.
- Type your password there and then select Confirm.
- You’ll see a second popup alerting you that you can only change your username once a year.
- If you’d like to continue, click Continue.
- The system will notify you that your username has been modified after the procedure has been completed successfully.
- Select Continue.
- Let’s return to the Settings page now.
- Your username has been swiftly corrected, as you can see.
I’m done now! On Snapchat, changing your username is quite simple.
But first, a fair caution! Your former username cannot be claimed again in the future by anyone, not even you, save from the restriction that you can only change it once per year. Avoid experimenting with this option if you have a strong attachment to your username and find it difficult to let it go.
How to Modify Your Snapchat Name Before One Year
Just like Facebook, you don’t just wake up overnight and decide you want to change your Snapchat username that you just changed recently. You will need to wait a full year before changing it again.
The only practical choice if you need to change the username right away is to cancel your Snapchat account and start over. Although creating a new account is a simple process, there is a catch: you cannot transfer your data to the new account; you must start over from scratch.
Here are the steps for opening a new Snapchat account after that.
- From the home screen, select the “Sign Up” option.
- Enter your first and last names on the following screen, then click the “Sign Up & Accept” button.
- You must add your name and birthday information after doing so.
- To continue, touch “Continue” after entering your birthdate using the built-in date picker.
- Create a new username and password now.
- You cannot modify your username before the one-year cooldown period, as was already explained, so you should pick a name you won’t regret in the future and try changing again.
- To complete the registration procedure, enter your email address.
- Use your phone number and select OTP authentication as an alternative.
- The end of that. You now know how to use the workaround to modify your Snapchat username.
Can my Snapchat username be changed?
The ability to change usernames is a new feature that Snapchat is introducing. On this page, we’ve included all the instructions for changing your username.
How frequently may my Snapchat username be modified?
Once a year, Snapchat formally permits username changes. However, there is no waiting period while changing your display name many times.
Within a year, you must establish a new account if you want to alter your username.
Why am I unable to modify my Snapchat username?
If you changed it within a year, you cannot modify your Snapchat username. To utilize a new username for your Snapchat account if you haven’t changed it in a year, make sure you are using the most recent version of the Snapchat app.
If I don’t know someone’s Snapchat username, how can I find them?
Even without knowing someone’s Snapchat username, you can find them. You can search for someone using their phone number or email address and add them to your list of Snapchat buddies if you are aware of those details.
Additionally, you can add contacts from your contact list to your Snapchat list by using the “Quick Add” option.