Netflix is by far the most popular on-demand video-streaming service available right now (excluding YouTube, of course). It’s changed the way we consume video content, allowing us to binge-watch TV shows and breathe new life into forgotten B-movies. Packages begin at $8.99 per month and increase to $17.99 per month if you want Ultra HD footage and multiple accounts per subscription. You will have access to Netflix regardless of which package you choose.
However, you may not want to keep Netflix after your month-long free trial period expires.
Many subscription services bury their unsubscribe links deep within their settings, but Netflix is surprisingly simple to cancel. If you want to cancel Netflix because you believe you’ve seen all of the good content it has to offer, here’s how.
Canceling Your Netflix Subscription in a Browser
- Log in to your Netflix account, then click the profile icon, followed by Account.
- You should now be able to see everything about your account on your My Account page, including plan details, settings, and playback preferences.
- Go to Subscription & Payment and select Cancel Subscription to cancel your subscription.
- You will now be taken to a confirmation page where you may confirm the termination of your subscription.
- Be warned: if you signed up for the service at a lower price, you will have to pay more if you decide to return.
Canceling Your Netflix Subscription on Android
- To deactivate your Netflix account on an Android smartphone or tablet, open a web browser.
- Launch the Netflix app on your Android device and tap the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap Account, then select the web browser you want to use to cancel your membership.
- You’ll then go to the website and sign in.
- Then, follow the same steps as before to cancel your membership.
Canceling Your Netflix Account on iOS
Users of the iPhone and iPad can avoid creating a Netflix account entirely.
- Navigate to your Netflix account page in Safari or Chrome.
- You should be able to cancel your membership using the Netflix desktop app from here.
- Tap Account after tapping the three vertical lines in the upper right-hand corner.
- Scroll down and select Cancel Membership.
- Please confirm the cancellation.
You can still watch Netflix until your next paying date if you cancel. Go to your Account Settings and look under ‘Membership’ to find your billing date. The following billing date will be displayed. Netflix should send you a cancellation email. Check your email to ensure you are not charged for Netflix again.
Canceling Netflix if you are being billed by another service
Signing up for Netflix through Amazon, iTunes, your ISP, or another service is not uncommon.
You can’t cancel your Netflix subscription if you signed up through one of those services.
Because your account is linked to another provider, this is the case.
Canceling Netflix Using iTunes
- If you signed up through iTunes, you can cancel by going to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- At the top, tap your Apple ID, then Memberships.
- Locate the Video streaming service and suspend it from here.
Canceling Netflix via Amazon
- Users can terminate their Netflix paid subscription by going to the Subscriptions and Subscriptions page on Amazon.
- Select the Cancel option from the Advanced Controls menu.
Canceling Netflix via Google Play
It’s also simple to deactivate Netflix through Google Play.
- Simply launch the Google Play Store on your Android device and select the three-line menu in the top left corner.
- Tap Subscriptions, then Netflix.
- Select the deactivate option and follow the prompts.
Comcast Xfinity Netflix Cancellation
If you are billed by an ISP such as Comcast Xfinity, go to your Netflix account page for more information on how to cancel.
Comcast, in particular, once provided the service for free, so you may not be paying for it at all.
You can also check for subscriptions by logging into your ISP account.
This is also true if you are billed by your cell phone carrier.
How to Deactivate Netflix if Your Account Has Been Hacked
Netflix users all over the world have encountered unfortunate internet pirates.
If your account has been hacked and your login information has been changed, you may be unsure what to do.
Because you can’t log in to cancel the account, how do you either get the account back or stop billing for it?
If you aren’t paying for Netflix through a third-party service, you’ll need assistance logging in.
Select the Need Help? option on the Netflix login page. option.
Netflix will require your login information as well as the billing method you have on file.
Once you’ve provided this information, the support team will assist you in reclaiming your account and canceling it.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Netflix Subscription Cancellation
My subscription was canceled, but I was still charged.
What exactly is going on?
Netflix cancellations are effective the following billing cycle.
This means that if you’re supposed to be billed on the first of the month but cancel on the 15th, you’ll still have access to all of Netflix’s content until the first.
Unfortunately, cancellations can be delayed, which means that if you cancel your subscription within one or two days of the renewal date, you may be charged again.
When you’ve terminated your subscription, check your email to ensure that you’ve done so correctly.
A confirmation email should be sent to you.
If you did not receive one, log into Netflix and make sure your membership is not about to expire (there will be a notice listed).
Finally, if you’re certain you canceled your account on time and correctly (you may have multiple accounts), contact Netflix Support for assistance.
Netflix’s official stance on refunds is that they do not provide them, but if you have been incorrectly billed, it is worth contacting them to get your money back.
I don’t see a cancel option in my profile.
Once you’ve followed the steps above but still don’t see a termination option, it’s because you’re being charged by another service.
If you’re unsure, go to your Netflix account page and click on the link next to your billing information.
This will guide you through the cancellation process for your specific account configuration.
Can I put my account on hold?
Users can pause their payments and service by halting their membership for a short time. Not everyone can pause their accounts right now. Netflix has confirmed that the feature will be tested in July 2021. Fortunately, as long as you resume your account before the 10th billing period, you can continue to use your service as usual.