They include a remote control with every Roku player. Roku remotes, unlike most other remotes you’ve ever used, connect to their players through Wi-Fi. Even if your remote is broken, you can still control your Roku device. Even if you’re on a new Wi-Fi network, here’s how to use your Roku device without a controller. Continue reading to learn everything you need to know about how to change channels on a Roku TV without using the remote.
Without a Remote, Here’s How to Use Your Roku
The simplest way to get your Roku to function without a remote is to download and install Roku on your device, then control it directly from there. Connect the app-enabled device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku. Then, on the app, go to Devices and hit the remote icon.
For these instructions to work, your Roku device must be linked to the same Wi-Fi network as your smartphone. It previously connected skip to the next step to learn how to connect the app to your Roku player using a mobile hotspot if your Roku device is to a Wi-Fi network you can no longer connect your smartphone.
- Install the Roku app on your device. The app is available for Android smartphones on the Google Play Store and iPhones and other Apple devices on the Apple App Store.
- Open the app and follow the directions on the screen. If this is your first time using the Roku app, you will be required to accept the terms and conditions and complete a brief tutorial.
- Then select Devices from the drop-down menu. I can find this at the bottom of your screen. If you’re using the app for the first time, you’ll need to hit OK to allow it to find your Roku devices.
- After that, choose your Roku device.
- Then press and hold the Remote icon. When you tap on your device, you’ll see this plus-shaped icon.
- Finally, you can operate your TV with the app’s remote. You can continue to operate your Roku player with the app on your smartphone for as long as you wish. Make sure your smartphone and Roku device are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network, though.
These techniques can give decent results for anyone who has previously lost or broken their Roku remote control. This will not work if you are staying in a hotel or if you cannot connect to the same Wi-Fi network that it previously linked your Roku device to.
The Roku app will only operate if it is connected to a network with the same name and password as the last Wi-Fi network your Roku player remembered. As a result, you might create a new Wi-Fi network with the same name and password as the old one. If you cannot create a new network, you can create a mobile hotspot and use it to connect your Roku player to your smartphone’s app.
How to Connect Your Roku Player to the App Using a Mobile Hotspot
Use a device to set up a mobile hotspot with the same name and password as the Wi-Fi network your Roku device was last connected to connect the Roku player and the app to a new Wi-Fi network. Use a new device with Roku downloaded and installed on it, and connect it via Hotspot.
- These instructions will require two devices: one that can create a hotspot and another that has the Roku software loaded. This is because you cannot create a hotspot on your smartphone and then connect your Roku app to it with the same device. You’ll also need to know the name and password of the previous Wi-Fi network to which your Roku device was connected.
- Create a mobile hotspot on one of your devices. A Mac or Windows computer or laptop, a smartphone, tablet, or any other device with mobile hotspot capabilities can be used. See the steps for achieving these in this post on how to set up a hotspot on any device.
- Give your hotspot the same name and password as the last network you linked your Roku player too. These procedures will not function we have already linked unless your Roku device to a Wi-Fi network. If you use your Roku device at a friend’s house the last time, you’ll need to create a hotspot with the same name and password as your friend’s Wi-Fi network.
- Then join that hotspot with your other smartphone. That would be the device on which I will install the Roku app. If you have an iPhone, for instance, try this
- Go to Settings >
- General >
Then join the hotspot you just created. You can connect to this network in the same way you would any other Wi-Fi network.
- You should launch the Roku application on your other device. This is not the device with which you created the hotspot. This is the device you just used to connect to your newly created hotspot.
- Then select your Roku player under Devices. If you don’t see your device displayed, swipe down on your screen to refresh it.
- After that, press the remote icon. You should now be able to control your Roku device using the Roku app.
- Then, on your Roku device, use the app’s remote to go to Settings. This can be found by pressing the Home button on your remote while in the app. To move around, utilize the navigation arrows on the left sidebar of your device display.
- After that, choose Network.
- Select wifi connection from the setup menu.
- On your remote, press OK. Your streaming device will look for available wireless networks.
- Then select a different network. If your network isn’t shown, select Scan again to see all available networks.
- Finally, tap Connect after entering the Wi-Fi password.
Why does Roku continually disconnect from the internet on some apps but not others?
How to resolve the error “Unable to play app because the device is no longer connected to the internet.”
- Remove the application from your computer. Highlight the problematic app in the Home menu, tap the star button, and select delete app.
- Delete the cached data. There are several approaches to do this, but I favor the contra technique. “To begin, hit the Home button five times, then the Up, Rewind, and Fast Forward buttons twice each. “Wait till your Roku shuts down and restarts.”
- The issue will be resolved if you reinstall the application. Oh, and you may try only doing step two to see if it solves the problem without having to uninstall anything.